While there are many kinds of fish that can be used in Aquaponics, we use Tilapia. For us this is a very versatile fish that can handle our Hawaiian climate well.
- Warm water species (at least 60 F : 15 C).
- Spawns year round in warm water (23 C).
- Breeding is generally 1 male to 3-4 females.
- 75 - 300 Eggs / Female.
- The female incubates and broods the eggs in her mouth.
- Depending on the species they can grow up ro 1 inch or 2.5 cm per month and produce young for 5 years.
- They are good eating and we would generally perge the fish for at least 2 days before harvesting.