Stephanotis floribunda, aka Madagascar Jasmine or Hawaiian Wedding Flower is growing at the Farm. The flowers are lovely and the smell is entrancing. What you see here is it’s mango looking seed pod. Like so many people, something beautiful is lurking inside, ready to share.
One piece can build something amazing!
We were having trouble with the edges falling down as we build compost piles. So we took an old pallet, cut it in half and hammered it together into an L.
We now have a moveable, low frame to hold up our piles as we build them. The piles remain in tact once we move the frame for our next pile to build.
Something a little different.
We have a variety of lectures, great information that people use all over the world, but how about an archive of these lectures so you can benefit from amazing people with out the cost of having to come to Kona.
So between the hardware of cameras, mics and smart phones and the software of Google Drive, Youtube and a video editor we want to get our lectures on line.
Camera, we will be using a Canon Vixia HF R50, so not something that is by any means top of the line.
Sound, we will use a smart phone with a mic and recording software.
How will be put it together? Not to sure yet, but do have a look at this video to get an idea of where we are heading.
People I am following that relates to this:
Then there is
Also from this we have:
We just a great morning working at the ATV and up in the Permaculture, weeding, raking, and generally taming this wonderful growing climate of Hawaii.
The farm crew is growing with Liz joining us from San Diego, late of Malta.
You can click the picture to move through the Gallery faster.
The thing about Hawaii is that stuff just grows! The pigs got to eat most of what we got out of the Permaculture area today.
Next week we have 18 students joining us in the farm, to get stuff growing, to get stuff in order, to see what else we can do with this bounty from God. Do drop by if you can, come for a tour in the mornings.
We would love to see up up here. Map
So over the last two weeks we have been working at getting water down to the Gardens. Well that is now done.
With the water on, we are getting the fences up, for nothing says smorgasbord to pigs like freshly planed vegetables. We have three plots built and some time soon we will have a Community Day to get people together who what to grow stuff. So Kona Staff, make your interest know here.
Then keep an eye on this calendar for events relating to the farm and to the Community Gardens.
So went to install the new gate and my fellow workers where knocking over the tools, pushing the gates around, keeping an eye that I did not slack, and generally getting in the way.
I wanted to figure out how many pigs we had, the first time I counted I got 17, and each count after that changed till I settled on 21. Yes I am pretty sure we have 21 pigs.
And half a dozen cats.
After tomorrow we will try adding to that number.
One of our aquaponics systems was originally designed to pump from the fish tank (the lowest point of the system) to the media bed and 55 gal drum clarifier located about thirty feet away. With this configuration the pump not only had to overcome the elevation but also the resistance created by friction within thirty some feet of one-inch pipe.
The new configuration decreases head pressure the pump has to overcome by routing the water directly from the pump up to a nearby overhead (header) tank. The result is dramatically increased volume to the grow beds using the existing pump or the option to downsize the pump.
One of the keys to making this and for that matter any aquaponic system work is knowing the relative height of different system components. For this project we used a fifty foot hose as a hose level to make sure that the top water level in “header” tank was higher in elevation than the intended outlet. Physics is a wonderful creation…dependable like the Creator!